Sunday 20 November 2016

VMware aims to deliver quality and value in vSphere 6.5

A few months before VMworld 2016, we produced a wish list for the features of vSphere 6.5. Now that VMware has officially announced vSphere 6.5, does it meet expectations?

In June I wrote about the features I wanted to see in vSphere 6.5 in the hope that a new version of the flagship VMware software would be announced at VMworld 2016 US Unfortunately, Of vSphere to VMworld 2016 Europe, and with it, a number of new features. So, did VMware deliver the things asked for?

In my original article, I asked for the scale-out vCenter; VMware gave us a vCenter failover function. I also requested a cluster of vCenter servers that would distribute the servers between the servers, and I wanted the cluster to provide instant failover if a node encountered a problem. It was a fairly large request, so I'm not entirely surprised that I did not get what I wanted. What we got is a two-node failover cluster for vCenter Server Appliance (vCSA) in which one node is active while the other node is in standby. If the active node has an abnormality, the queued node takes its identity and starts the vCenter Services. According to VMware, the failover will take a few minutes, approximately the same amount of time as the cluster vSphere High Availability (HA) would take to recover the failing VM. This two-node failover cluster is essentially the replacement for the old vCenter Server Heartbeat product, as far as I know, nothing more. This is a beginning, but not exactly what I wanted in the new version.

I wanted to integrate VMware Update Manager (VUM) into vCSA and, in this case, VMware delivered. This means that you do not need an additional Windows server and database; Everything is built into one device. This feature is long been late, one that we have been expecting since it was released for the first time. The delay only made it more welcome in vSphere 6.5. The new integrated vCSA HA and VUM are signs that VMware is committed to vCSA and that company is very serious about moving clients out of vCSA from Windows to vCSA.

When writing my vSphere 6.5 wish list, I asked for a better product. Of course we will not be able to judge the quality of vSphere 6.5 until it has been in the hands of users for a few months. At present, there is no commitment to a ship date for any of the products advertised to VMworld in the US or Europe. VMware will likely deliver the new version of vSphere in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.